Monday, December 17, 2012

SPY HUNTER (In Development)


  • SPY HUNTER

Bally Midway's 1983 arcade game Spy Hunter, has to be one game that has been trying to make its way on the big screen for long time. Universal Pictures was trying to turn Spy Hunter into a movie with the likes of directors John Woo and Paul W.S. Anderson and screenwriters Michael Brandt and Derek Haas, Zak Penn and Stuart Beattie all trying their hand but then giving up for one reason or another.


Unconcerned by Universal's failure, Warner Bros. and Lin Pictures decided to give it one more go at turning the popular scrolling driving game into a big screen franchise, as well as rebooting the series for modern handheld consoles. Previously it was reported that director Ruben Fleischer of Zombieland and the upcoming Gangster Squad was interested in helming it.

Recently ComingSoon.net was on the phone with Fleischer to talk about his gangster action-thriller and we asked him what got him interested in taking on a challenging project like Spy Hunter that so many others have tried to do before him.

"We'll see what happens,” Fleischer said. If I can make any movie, it would be a James Bond movie. I've always loved the genre but I don't think they'll hire an American to direct a James Bond movie, I've been told, so for me, 'Spy Hunter' is an opportunity to create a new spy franchise. It sounds silly but that was my favorite video game when I was a kid and it had a great title and a great theme song, but there's no real other associations that people have with it other than a cool car, so I feel like there's a lot of room for us to invent a new character and a new series. I think just the Spy Hunter that is the most bad-ass spy who hunts down rogue spies is a really cool launch pad for an idea and I hope that we can bring it to life."

No comments:

Post a Comment