Saturday, November 3, 2012

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (Webb Updates)


  • THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2

Its been widely reported that Jamie Foxx is likely to be playing Electro in the upcoming The Amazing Spider-Man sequel and recently director Marc Webb spoke at a press event for next week's DVD and Blu-ray release of the first film and was more than willing to tiptoe around the issue.


Jamie Foxx as Electro

"I think Jamie Foxx is electrifying!" Webb laughed when asked if the actor would, indeed, appear in the sequel. "I think Jamie Foxx is one of the best actors around today. He's such a great character actor and he's a really brilliant guy. I would love to work with him and you'll be hearing more on that shortly, I'm sure."

When asked what other Spider-Man characters he was particularly fond of, Webb again mentioned Max Dillon's electrically charged alter ego.

"I like Electro," Webb smiled. "I'm fascinated by Norman Osborn and the different inflections of him. And Harry. Mary Jane and Gwen are always interesting to me."

It's been confirmed that Shailene Woodley will be playing the role of Mary Jane Watson and early reports suggest that casting is now underway for Harry Osborn as well. Teased in the first film, it's very possible that Webb named the elder Osborn because we'll also be seeing him on the big screen in 2014.

Regardless of what villain or villains appear, Webb says that the most important trait of the sequel's big bad is a personal connection to Spider-Man himself.

Shailene Woodley
"What makes villains interesting to me is what they bring out in Peter," Webb explained. "What challenges they provide for him. What's great about Marvel and other comics is that often there's a pre-existing relationship... It's not just about the physical conflict he has, but the emotional ones as well."

Ultimately, though, the sequel offers Webb a clean slate to take Spider-Man to places he's never been before on the big screen.

"What's exciting about moving forward is that, in the first movie, I had to still honor some of the important elements of the origin story," Webb says. "But I also wanted to redefine the context of it because I'm building a different universe than what we've seen before. A lot of the nuance is quite different. Now, as we're approaching the sequel, it's really exciting because I feel quite liberated. I have a universe that's my own. I don't have an obligation to the origin story. It's pretty fun and exciting and I can dig deeper into the parents."

As the sequel gears up for production, Webb says he's already had conversations about the viral marketing and that he's certain the sequel will offer as in-depth an ARG as the first film did. He also teased that the sequel may feature some scenes shot specifically for IMAX.

I’m excited to see the direction the film will take, as the unnecessary origin story is now out the way, the franchise can continue to grow and become something that’s quite unique and that stands out from the original trilogy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment