Monday, March 25, 2013

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS (Abrams talks Star Wars)


  • STAR TREK INTO STAR WARS

Star Trek Into Darkness will soon be hitting big screen all around the world, as director J.J. Abrams will be prepping himself for the unavoidable Star Wars questions when he does he his rounds promoting Star Trek. 

Star Trek Into Darkness

Abrams however, recently opened up to the guys at Empire sharing his thoughts on directing the next Star Wars film. Its no secret that  Abrams wasn’t the biggest fan of Star Trek when he took the helm of that series reboot in 2009, so Empire asked Abrams how he’ll be able to keep the same objectivity with Star Wars, a property for which he has very strong affection:

“I don’t know because we’re just getting started. So it’s a great question that I hope I’ll have a good answer to when I know what the answer is. There are infinitely more questions than answers right now, but to me, they’re not that dissimilar. Though I came at these both from very different places, where they both meet is a place of ‘Ooh, that’s really exciting.’ And even though I was never a Star Trek fan, I felt like there was a version of it that would make me excited, that I would think ‘that’s cool, that feels right, I actually would want to see that.”
Zoe Saldana in Star Trek Into Darkness

Abrams continued by reminiscing about his feelings when he first took on Star Trek and how he’s in a similar state while approaching Star Wars:

“I feel like I can identify a hunger for what I would want to see again and that is an incredibly exciting place to begin a project. The movies, the worlds [of Trek and Wars] could not be more different but that feeling that there’s something amazing here is the thing that they share.”

Most fans will remember back in November when Abrams made a public statement that he would not be helming the next Star Wars as fans all around the world had him at the top of their wish list. He obviously had a little change of heart:

“My knee-jerk reaction was that I’m in the middle of working on the Star Trek movie and I can’t even consider it. But then time went by and I got further along working on the movie and getting to a place where I had done most of the heavy lifting. So when I met with Kathy Kennedy we just started discussing it and I was able to actually engage in the conversation. I went down to tell Katie, my wife and I said ‘I had just a very interesting conversation with Kathy.’ That was the beginning.”

No comments:

Post a Comment