Monday, September 24, 2012

PACIFIC RIM (Del Toro talks 3D Conversion)


  • PACIFIC RIM


Guillermo del Toro's is currently in post-production stage with his new film, Pacific Rim, targeting a July 12, 2013 release with a cast that includes Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman and Charlie Day.

Recently it was reveleaed that the studio wants Pacific Rim to be post-converted into 3D, much to the dismay of del Toro.

However it would seem now that the Hellboy director has had a change of heart as he explains that certain factors had to be agreed to get him to change his mind on the post-conversion.

"What happened was, in the weeks and months following Comic-Con, what I asked from the studio was to agree to four points that I wanted to do," he says.

"The more the ILM shots arrived, the more I realized that there were only a few shots that would miniaturize. I asked the studio, number one, that we would not hyper-stereo-lize the thing. That we would not force 3D on the beauty shots.

That we would keep the giant dimensions. They agreed. Number two, they agreed to something very unusual. Normally a conversion takes a few weeks. I asked to start it immediately so we could take the full 40 weeks to do the conversion. As an example, 'Titanic' took about 50 weeks to convert. The final thing that I asked that they agreed to, which was amazing, was that I asked them to give me an extra budget, which is considerable, to actually have ILM composite the shots that are CG native 3D. We're not giving elements. ILM is giving the composite in 3D from the get-go. That's a huge, huge element. Now I'm going to be involved in supervising it. What can I tell you? I changed my mind. I'm not running for office. I can do a Romney."

He then revealed that Pacific Rim's post-production is moving along magnificently.

"It's going great," del Toro continues, "We're about 40 weeks away from opening but, nevertheless, the pace is breakneck. So far, though, it's been the best experience I've ever had."

This is definitely one of those movies that I’m amped up to see!

Let us know what you think about this whole post 3D conversion thing, and comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment