Tuesday, July 31, 2012

THE RED CIRCLE (Director Attached)


  • THE RED CIRCLE

In development for some time, the modernized, english-language remake of Jean-Pierre Melville's 1970 crime thriller The Red Circle (Le cercle rouge) appears to have found a new director.
James Mangold

Producer Arthur Sarkissian tells CraveOnline that The Wolverine's James Mangold is planning to shoot the project next summer in Hong Kong and Macau.

"James to me is a guy's director," says Sarkissian. "He's from the world of the old school of movies. 'The Getaway', 'The Wild Bunch'. I see him in that world. He loves movies. '3:10 to Yuma', to me, was one of the best remakes ever. It's very difficult to top an original and I think he did that absolutely beautifully because I don't think the Glen Ford/Delmer Daves version worked as well as the one he did."

The original film starred Alain Delon as Corey, an ex-con who winds up getting pulled back into the world of crime, teaming with a hitman for a major heist.

"It's all about character," Sarkissian continues about his updated version. "I think we have a really great story. I think that world of Macau and Hong Kong is wonderful. I don't think we're going to have that stylized bent guns and all of that. I don't want to make a stylistic movie. The style will be there. I just want to tell a good story. I just want to tell a very good gangster story."

As for who could top Delon's performance, Sarkissian has a few ideas.

"I have a wish list," he says. "I swear it's so fantastic, but Christian Bale, Russell Crowe. I've got them all in my head. I hope to God one of them [accepts.] Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, Tom Hardy. They could all be fantastic either as the hitman or the Corey character."

Mangold's The Wolverine is expected to begin production immediately for a July 26, 2013 release.

No comments:

Post a Comment